Braces can be a bit of a hassle, but since you’re in it for the long haul, you might as well add your own unique touch with a little colour!
How do braces change colour?
Braces are made up of lots of different parts that work together to straighten your teeth. One these parts is the elastic bands.
The elastic bands are also called ligatures, and they are placed around each bracket to hold the archwire in the bracket slot.
Elastics lose their elasticity over time, and so your orthodontist will need to change them at each adjustment appointment to make sure your treatment goes according to plan. The benefit of this is that elastics come in lots of different colours, giving you the opportunity to change up the look of your braces every time you visit us!
How to Choose The Right Colour
If you're unsure which colours to choose, here are a few tips and ideas to help you make up your mind!
- pick your favourite colour
- pick the colours of your favourite sports team
- pick your school colours
- avoid brown, black and some shades of green; these could make it look like you have food stuck in your teeth
- avoid white; it may cause your teeth to look yellow and discoloured
- choose a colour that suits your complexion
- choose colours that compliment your eye colour
- use The Happy Tooth Colour Selector to test out your new look before committing!